Monday, September 29, 2008

The relativity of time

My mood was down and now it's a bit up. Mostly just interesting to notice.

Time is relative. It's something we've made up and in many ways it's more about our beliefs about time than the actual time itself. I think "Oh I don't have enough time" and sure maybe there isn't but maybe if I thought differently that time could actually show up. That's when prioritizing and values are important.

I experienced time in a really rewarding way this weekend. A postcard for the upcoming Frank Bette show came in the mail this weekend and some of my work would work perfectly with their theme. I've had some ideas that I wanted to finish… I wanted to complete an aluminum series. Except that I had to get the work done… Tom and I had a busy and fun weekend with family so there wasn't a lot of "time" for additional things.

Tom challenged me and asked me if I wanted to do the pieces and submit them the next day. I'm totally up for a challenge. We worked together late Saturday night til almost three o'clock in the a.m. for about six hours. (I don't think we've ever stayed up that late.) It was such an incredible experience working together for a common goal challenged by the clock, desire and fatigue. The pieces came out beautifully. The concepts were fun. Unfortunately, the glue didn't actually stick and the aluminum pieces came up off the panels even more as I poured resin on them the next day. The resin took longer than I expected to dry.

This was the last thing that I thought I would encounter, a challenge in materials. It means more practice… we went out Sunday to buy more panels, glue and a different type of resin-type coating. I'm looking forward to creating more… It was so awesome to see the work we'd created even though it didn't turn out exactly how I'd anticipated. It was pure joy to catch a glimpse of the body of work that I'm longing to create, come together.

I'm grateful for the challenge, Tom, and for that exciting energy that we created together.

No comments: